Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Bardonecchia Snow Weekend


After a trying week, a ski get-a-way to the Alps was just what I needed. Saturday morning we arrived in Bardonecchia, had a quick breakfast, and headed to the rental shops to get skis. We were up on the slopes by noon, it was beautiful weather not a cloud in the sky. Pretty typical spring ski weather, a little icy in the shade and slushy in the sun. I wore way too many clothes and was hot seeing as it was between 45-55 degrees the whole time. I was issued probably the WORST pair of boots in the entire world. I nicknamed them the Red Devils. After a couple of hours I couldn't handle them anymore and we stopped at a lodge with lounge chairs and took a break, and soon after fell asleep. We headed down the mountain and got ready for dinner. Dinner was mediocre, buffet style food. As soon as dinner finished I headed straight to bed  to get some rest to hit the slopes hard the next day! 
The Red Devils

The hotel we stayed at was called Villagio Olympico, which housed olympians during the 2006 winter games. Bardonecchia hosted two of the snowboarding events. 
View from the hotel Balcony


The next morning we had an early start and I exchanged the Red Devils for a bearable pair of boots, I wasn't expecting high quality but these were truly the worst boots, EVER. We explored the other side of the mountain called Jafferau. Another gorgeous day with stunning views. We may have smeared Chapstick (the only thing we had with SPF) on our faces :/. Before we knew it, it was time to get on the bus and head back home. With no injuries and some sunburns it was a successful weekend! 



 The Alps were amazing and I had a wonderful time. However, Utah still has the "Greatest Snow on Earth"!

No comments:

Post a Comment