Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Saying Goodbye to Milano


My time here is running short... I have had a fantastic semester! The last couple of weeks I have been trying to enjoy the beauty of Milan as much as possible. Milan has a lot to offer, but it's definitely no Florence or Rome as far as tourist attractions. I have loved my morning runs in the park near my apartment, and even have come to enjoy my walks to and from the grocery store (even if it leaves my arms sore for a few days). 

Here are a few things that I have compiled that I will miss. 

-The Italian language. although there isn't much use for it anywhere else in the world besides Italy it's so fun to hear the tones and rhythm with how they speak

-Accessibility to travel & the amount of things to do/see. I don't think I could have picked a better city to be able to travel with such ease from. 

-Spring. there is nothing like spring in Italy especially after such a long winter. 

And most of all.... 

-The laid back lifestyle. although it drives me nuts sometimes. Italians take life at their own pace. The old men walk with their hands clasped behind their backs and just meander through the streets solely, because they can. They aren't in a hurry to do anything. 

Here are a few things that I won't miss. 

-Africans in the park. This is not meant to be racist, they are just outright annoying. They are constantly harassing me and trying to sell me crap when all I want to do is sit peacefully in the park! 

-Standing in lines with Italians. This is just simply something that Italians cannot do. They will cut you off no matter how much time you have already waited in line. 

-Life without ranch dressing. It's the small things in life that make me happy, and ranch dressing is one of them. 

So the time has come... Dun, dun, dunnn.. now I have to try and fit all of the crap into my suitcases that I have accumulated. School is finally finished and its starting to hit me that I'm coming home soon! I have a few more trips before my final goodbye, but after a trip to London and the rest of the time in southern Italy I will have roughly a day left in Milan which I can guarantee I spend finishing up the packing process. I know leaving Milan will be a very bittersweet goodbye. Now here comes the sap... 

I have been dreaming of studying abroad since junior high age. I feel so grateful and incredibly blessed for this opportunity! I couldn't have done it without my parents, they truly have given the world to me. I am also grateful for the example of my grandparents, Grandpa Joe and Grandma Boo, years of looking through their scrapbooks of travels all around the world has inspired me to see the world for myself. 

The greatest thing that living in Italy has given me, is perspective. I appreciate my life in America, and especially Utah so much more. I have been given so many opportunities and truly live la dolce vita. Thanks to all of my family and friends for making my life what it is!

Here are a few pictures from the last couple of weeks of Milan, including the end of the semester party that was put on by the school, complete with champagne.

GIANT middle finger in the middle of a random plaza
These are both new installments for the world fair in 2014, representing vino and pasta.
I will miss walking home at all hours on this street
The lovely Ciamano ward which I visited this last sunday
Turtles sunbathing in the park
Castello Sforzesco
Beautiful main campus
Mama Burger!
lovely strip club located directly across the street from school
View from a window at school
The drivers are insane, i'm surprised more people don't get hit
Certificates of completion from Cattolica


 Cheerio! Off to London in the morning! 

1 comment:

  1. What an adventure, Rach. I am so glad you were able to do this. It looks like you had a blast.

    Love you lots! I think you should host a slide show party so we can all come hear about your adventures in person. ;)

    ReplyDelete